Old 09-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default poison ivy

The oil will stay viable for years.

Everywhere the animal fur permeated with the oil touches will become coated
with it.

Sure Ron, lets all run through the streets expounding the frigging virtues
of "Jewel Weed"!!!
Doe the juice make a good mixer too?

Soap and water will work just as well.

Ronald Rudin wrote in message
I have a question about what happens when dogs/cats and poison ivy are
combined. I assume that
when dogs run through poison ivy or have some contact with it (maybe from
playing with another poison ivied dog) - the ivy gets on their fur and

maybe
skin. If it's on the dog (or cat), how long does it stay there? When the
dogs get in the car or goes on the couch, will it likely spead the ivy

oil?
How long does this oil stay potent?
I recently cut parts of jewelweed plants (touch-me-nots), which grow
abundantly in some areas near water, as most of you probably know). I

then
boiled the plants in a big pot with not too much water for about 20

minutes
to get a dark orange solution. This can be keep in frig for as much as a
year. A spray bottle is useful too. And making ice cubes of the solution
and storing in a bag in the freezer will provide poison ivy protection and
remedy for a long time.

Let's
appreciate poison ivy. The "gardian" of the woods. And we can let our
dogs/cats run free with the help of jewelweed.
Ron