Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Ronald Rudin

Default poison ivy

I have a question about what happens when dogs/cats and poison ivy are
combined. I assume that
when dogs run through poison ivy or have some contact with it (maybe from
playing with another poison ivied dog) - the ivy gets on their fur and maybe
skin. If it's on the dog (or cat), how long does it stay there? When the
dogs get in the car or goes on the couch, will it likely spead the ivy oil?
How long does this oil stay potent?
I recently cut parts of jewelweed plants (touch-me-nots), which grow
abundantly in some areas near water, as most of you probably know). I then
boiled the plants in a big pot with not too much water for about 20 minutes
to get a dark orange solution. This can be keep in frig for as much as a
year. A spray bottle is useful too. And making ice cubes of the solution
and storing in a bag in the freezer will provide poison ivy protection and
remedy for a long time. Let's
appreciate poison ivy. The "gardian" of the woods. And we can let our
dogs/cats run free with the help of jewelweed.
Ron

Old 09-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

The oil will stay viable for years.

Everywhere the animal fur permeated with the oil touches will become coated
with it.

Sure Ron, lets all run through the streets expounding the frigging virtues
of "Jewel Weed"!!!
Doe the juice make a good mixer too?

Soap and water will work just as well.

Old 09-07-2003, 08:19 PM
Iris Cohen

I have a question about what happens when dogs/cats and poison ivy are
combined. BRBR

From my own limited experience, I can tell you that in general, dogs are
protected by their hair. If a short-haired dog contacts poison ivy with his
hairless belly, he will get a mild rash. The bigger danger is letting your dog
run around in poison ivy and then touching him while the active chemical (I
forget how to spell it) is still fresh. You should ask your Poison Control
Center about this.
I never let my cat run loose anyway.
Bottom line: why let your dog run around where you know there is poison ivy?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 10-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Ronald Rudin

Thanks for your responce Iris. I'm still looking to find out how long
poison ivy stays active after contact with pets. I will look to other
sources such as pet stores, poison control, animal shelter, etc.
I would never have a dog or cat if I couldn't let them run freely in natural
areas, such as woods.
It is a good idea (as you suggested) to favor areas that don't have an
abundance of poison ivy.
I don't have any pets myself, but frequently walk with other dogs and have
contact with cats.
One friend let's her dogs run in poison ivy areas and she has contracted the
rash frequently.
Some of my questioning is to help her. Keep in mind, she (and I) don't
won't to deprive the dogs of what they enjoy so much.
It is possible that spraying the dogs with jewelweed could prevent the spred
to the poison.
Ron

Old 21-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Ronald Rudin

Thanks Trent for the Technu idea.....I'll look into this product to find out
more about it's usefullness. The links the Leon provides in this thread are
useful.
Ron

Old 21-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Ronald Rudin

Thanks Leon.....the links you posted are helpful. They give answers about
the persistance of the poison and some helpful suggestions for prevention
and treatment. I will be even more cautious in my contact with pets after
reading some of this. Good doses of jewel weed on my skin before and after
walks with the dogs seems important (will give a psychological edge as well)
My friends who keep getting rashes will sit up and listen.
Thanks again.....Ron

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It -systemic killers rtih Lawns 0 17-05-2003 08:32 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Lawns 20 17-05-2003 03:20 PM
Poison Ivy -- Getting Rid of It Chip G. Gardening 21 17-05-2003 03:20 PM