Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim W

Default National Pickling Cucumber

Noydb wrote:

I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.

I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish
product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes
on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can
stand this year.

It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up
empty handed. So I am trying again this year.

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Thats because you need to get with the lingo;-)) They are known
properly here as National Pickling Gherkin.. Gherkin is also the term
used in germany and other continental Eur countries. You need to search
for Gherkin. You will find lots of recipes.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...nt=googlet&q=P

ickled+Gherkins+recipe+dill

'pickled cucumbers' or 'pickles' is merely the US term for them;-)

Pickles in the UK includes a wide variety of vinegar based vegetable
preserves including picallili. As opposed to Chutney's which are
generally sweeter.

Picklenet may be of use to you-)
http://www.picklenet.com/sections/ca.../nice/dill.htm