Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Noydb

Default National Pickling Cucumber

I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.

I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish
product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes
on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can
stand this year.

It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up
empty handed. So I am trying again this year.

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 AM
Bill

In article , fakedaddress@organic-
earth.com says...

snip

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Bill

Meat grinder would get them pretty small.

Bill
Old 09-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:50:32 -0400, Noydb
wrote:

I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.

I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish
product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes
on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can
stand this year.

It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up
empty handed. So I am trying again this year.

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

You might want to ask over on rec.food.preserving - it's a
good newsgroup, with a lot of knowledgeable and friendly
people.

Pat
Old 09-07-2003, 04:44 PM
zxcvbob

Noydb wrote:
I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.

I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish
product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes
on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can
stand this year.

It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up
empty handed. So I am trying again this year.

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Bill

I think a "Universal Food Chopper #2" (an ancient hand crank device
similar to a meat grinder) would do it. I was just looking at one at
Fleet Farm last week, and thinking about buying one if my cukes don't
drown or rot from all the rain.

You could also thickly slice the cukes by hand, then pack the slices in
the chute of a food processor and cut them with the small or medium
julienne (sp?) disk.

Best regards,
Bob

--
"Stealing a Rhinoceros should not be attempted lightly" --Kehlog Albran

Old 09-07-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim W

Noydb wrote:

I have a tiny garden ... but a LOT of these cucumbers coming on the vine.

I am looking for a recipe that closely copies the Vlassic Dill Relish
product. This is the form most likely to get eaten in our household (goes
on hot dogs & in tuna salads) so I want to make up as much of it as I can
stand this year.

It's that time of year, folks. Last year's search for this recipe came up
empty handed. So I am trying again this year.

Also ... how do they get the cukes chopped so small? Is there a home /
restaurant grade machine that will do this?

Thats because you need to get with the lingo;-)) They are known
properly here as National Pickling Gherkin.. Gherkin is also the term
used in germany and other continental Eur countries. You need to search
for Gherkin. You will find lots of recipes.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...nt=googlet&q=P

ickled+Gherkins+recipe+dill

'pickled cucumbers' or 'pickles' is merely the US term for them;-)

Pickles in the UK includes a wide variety of vinegar based vegetable
preserves including picallili. As opposed to Chutney's which are
generally sweeter.

Picklenet may be of use to you-)
http://www.picklenet.com/sections/ca.../nice/dill.htm

Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Noydb

Jim W wrote:

Thats because you need to get with the lingo;-)) They are known
properly here as National Pickling Gherkin.. Gherkin is also the term
used in germany and other continental Eur countries. You need to search
for Gherkin. You will find lots of recipes.

I just went by what the seed packet said ... and it said 'cucumber'.

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 10-07-2003, 12:27 AM
Noydb

Jim W wrote:

I offer this:
Q: What is a midget? A gherkin?
A: When we refer to the terms midget and gherkin, we are referring to small
cucumbers that come from the same plant that produces larger cucumbers,
cucumis sativus. These midgets and gherkins are picked before they have a
chance to grow up to be big ones. However, there is a different species of
cucumber called a gherkin, cucumis anguria. These cucumbers are known as
West Indian or Burr gherkins, and they produce small, exceptionally spiny
fruit that is used for pickling. Mt. Olive, however, does not pickle this
type of gherkin.

from http://www.mtolivepickles.com/AskMrCrisp/FAQ.html

Oh ... and thanks for the links. I'm following them now.

Bill
--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)

Old 10-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Jim W

Noydb wrote:

Jim W wrote:

I offer this:
Q: What is a midget? A gherkin?
A: When we refer to the terms midget and gherkin, we are referring to small
cucumbers that come from the same plant that produces larger cucumbers,
cucumis sativus. These midgets and gherkins are picked before they have a
chance to grow up to be big ones. However, there is a different species of
cucumber called a gherkin, cucumis anguria. These cucumbers are known as
West Indian or Burr gherkins, and they produce small, exceptionally spiny
fruit that is used for pickling. Mt. Olive, however, does not pickle this
type of gherkin.

from http://www.mtolivepickles.com/AskMrCrisp/FAQ.html

Oh ... and thanks for the links. I'm following them now.

Bill

Dangerous to confuse common names with botanical.. FOr instance a
bluebell in England is not a Bluebell is scotland.. Same name, different
Genus species..

Differnt country, differnt word.. IN the UK we say gherkin,.. in
Germany as well I believe..
A lot of other countries use 'gherkin'.. Some use 'pickle' As a lot
of these recipes originate there I believe that is what they are known
as over here.. In the UK a lot are imported from Poland.

AS you will see if you enter gherkin there are plenty of references to
'pickled cucumbers' as you know then;-)

Strange, this language called English;-) Enjoy your gherkins. Some
cultivars are 'bred' to be small and short.. National Pickling is one
such.. You will find if you let one mature it will not reach the normal
length of a cuc.-) Will look more like a cucumber bombshell than a
gherkin, eg short and fat;-)

//
Jim
Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 AM
Noydb

Jim W wrote:

Strange, this language called English;-)

I'm not certain, but I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said that the
Americans and British were two peoples divided by a common language. :-)

Bill

--
Zone 5b (Detroit, MI)