Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Boystrup Pb, ann,...

Default Miniature orchids?

thanks for the info from both of you. I might have to wait till i have some
more room.
Peter

"Dave Lockwood" schreef in bericht
A grower suggested to me that it works rather well when you make a spiral

of
wire that spirals inward and is wrapped in sphagnum or the like. You need
to be consistent in directing the growth but if you're careful you can get

full sized vanilla planifolia on a spiral about four feet (1.5 meters)
across. This is quite a bit bigger than the run of the mill masdevalia

but
still manageable. I have one in my small greenhouse providing some
additional shade for the Phals. It grows fast (for an orchid) but is

still
no race horse. Think of it as a strange Philodendron. Fruit will be

about
as likely!
Dave
"Tracey" wrote in message
But it makes me curious, I think I'll buy one
this summer.

You might want to think about whether you have the room
or not. I'm growing a couple of vanilla orchids and they
get very long very fast. I have read that they won't bloom
until they are 20-25 feet long. I have one that is in a
shallow planter, wrapped around and around the planter.
I would estimate it's a good 12-15 feet and still no sign
of a flower, just more vining.

Tracey