Old 09-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Anne Lurie

Default Spurs on Roses

After reading some other responses, I image-googled for "rose gall" and turned up this website http://kaweahoaks.com/html/wild_rose.html which has a really good picture (complete with quarter for size reference). The things are described as "rose leaf galls discovered by KOP Trial Guide, Robert Withey, on May 2, 2001. These have never been observed before." Here's a link to the main page -- http://kaweahoaks.com/html/main.htm the website apparently covers the Kaweah River Delta region in Central California. Based upon the quality of the photos I saw, I immediately bookmarked the website for future reference. I don't know if it's just me, but I have trouble looking at tiny pictures & trying to imagine what something really looks like; some of these photos seem to be life-sized or magnified. (Granted, it helps to have a broadband Internet connection, as the pictures are very detailed.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC
zone 7b

"Ryan Wilson" wrote in message le.rogers.com...
I am writing this on behalf of my parents. In their rose garden they have:
William Baffin roses, and one called Simplicity. On two of these plants
there is a little spur that is growing into the leaf. It is red in color and
looks like the end of a medieval mace. It seems to grow right into the rose
plant. It is also very bright red in color...
Any help would be great
Ryan Wilson