Old 10-07-2003, 12:35 AM
tracey

Default Watermelon

Sorry about the attachment :-(
"tracey" wrote in message
When are the melons ripe? Experienced watermelon growers try a lot of

tricks
to know exactly when the fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few you can

try:

When the tiny tendril on the vine just opposite of where the watermelon
stem attaches dries out and turns brown, the melon is ripe.

"The flat dead sound emitted by a melon when thumped is the readiest
indication of ripeness, and the one most universally depended on," says
1,001 Old-Time Garden Tips. "If the resonance is hollow, ringing or

musical,
it is certain proof of immaturity."

Rinds of unripe watermelons have a nice shiny gloss; ripe melons lose

that
shine, so the rinds are drab.

The spot where the melon rests on the ground turns greenish-yellow as the
melon reaches maturity.

"Rudi Baeten" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks