Old 09-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Rudi Baeten

Default Watermelon

Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks

Old 09-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Ophelia

"Rudi Baeten" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks

I have never grown any but when I buy them in the shops I press both thumbs
at the stalk end and if it gives a bit it is usually ripe

Ophelia

Old 09-07-2003, 11:56 PM
tracey

When are the melons ripe? Experienced watermelon growers try a lot of tricks
to know exactly when the fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few you can try:

When the tiny tendril on the vine just opposite of where the watermelon
stem attaches dries out and turns brown, the melon is ripe.

"The flat dead sound emitted by a melon when thumped is the readiest
indication of ripeness, and the one most universally depended on," says
1,001 Old-Time Garden Tips. "If the resonance is hollow, ringing or musical,
it is certain proof of immaturity."

Rinds of unripe watermelons have a nice shiny gloss; ripe melons lose that
shine, so the rinds are drab.

The spot where the melon rests on the ground turns greenish-yellow as the
melon reaches maturity.

"Rudi Baeten" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks

begin 666 reddot.gif
M1TE&.#EA" `(`*($`&P;')=C5LREW,F)#=N0```````````"'Y! $```0`
B+ `````(``@`0 ``
`
end

Old 10-07-2003, 12:42 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

"Rudi Baeten" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks

I have never grown any but when I buy them in the shops I press both thumbs
at the stalk end and if it gives a bit it is usually ripe

I don't think ripe watermelons have any bits that give :-)

Janet.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:32 AM
Dwayne

Tracey got most of them. I have grown them for years and have found that no
matter how well you get at running these tests, you are going to pick one
too soon. I listed a couple extra below.

"tracey" wrote in message
When are the melons ripe? Experienced watermelon growers try a lot of

tricks
to know exactly when the fruit is ready to eat. Here are a few you can

try:

When the tiny tendril on the vine just opposite of where the watermelon
stem attaches dries out and turns brown, the melon is ripe.

I ALSO WAIT UNTIL THE SMALL LEAF AT THE BASE OF THE TENDRIL HAD TURNED
BROWN.

"The flat dead sound emitted by a melon when thumped is the readiest
indication of ripeness, and the one most universally depended on," says
1,001 Old-Time Garden Tips. "If the resonance is hollow, ringing or

musical,
it is certain proof of immaturity."

I PICK THE MELON OFF THE GROUND AND HOLD IT WITH ONE HAND AND SLAP IT WITH
THE OTHER. IF THE VIBRATION FROM THE SLAP GOES ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE
MELON AND CAN BE FELT BY THE HAND HOLDING THE MELON, IT IS A GOOD SIGN IT IS
RIPE.

Rinds of unripe watermelons have a nice shiny gloss; ripe melons lose

that
shine, so the rinds are drab.

The spot where the melon rests on the ground turns greenish-yellow as the
melon reaches maturity.

DEPENDS ON THE COLOR OF THE MELON YOU ARE GROWING. SOME ARE VERY YELLOW,
SOME ARE WHITE.

DONT GET IN A HURRY. MOST MELONS WILL STAY GOOD ON THE VINE FOR OVER A WEEK
AFTER THEY ARE RIPE.

GOOD LUCK. DWAYNE

Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Ophelia

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ophelia" contains these words:

"Rudi Baeten" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone knows when a watermelon is ripe to eat?
What are the signs ?
I grow them in my greenhouse for the first time and I have
two big melons (about 30 cm diameter) and two little ones.
Thanks

I have never grown any but when I buy them in the shops I press both

thumbs
at the stalk end and if it gives a bit it is usually ripe

I don't think ripe watermelons have any bits that give :-)

The last one I bought did but it was a small one. It was delicious

Seedless Watermelon pollination H Hornblower Edible Gardening 6 20-08-2004 03:45 PM
Germinating watermelon Seed Shlomit sci.agriculture 0 13-07-2003 03:44 PM
Moon Star Watermelon Lisa J Gehl Edible Gardening 4 09-07-2003 10:44 PM
watermelon? H United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 10:20 PM
Watermelon Question CORRWOOD Edible Gardening 2 14-05-2003 02:44 AM