Old 10-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Salty Thumb

Default Vine that will grow under a black walnut....

"JNJ" wrote in
:

I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right
alongside a black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree
but I REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with
a vine. Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black
walnuts? If so, what varieties?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

As a side note, I read that sometimes Black Walnuts are grafted onto
other root stock (or vis versa?), so you may not have any problems or
have less severe problems than cited for pure black walnuts.

To again not answer your question, I've heard of people painting chain
link fences green with good effect.

-- Salty