Old 09-07-2003, 04:44 AM
JNJ

Default Vine that will grow under a black walnut....

I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right alongside a
black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree but I
REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts? If so,
what varieties?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

Old 09-07-2003, 06:20 AM
paghat

In article , "JNJ" wrote:

I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right alongside a
black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree but I
REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts? If so,
what varieties?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

Someone really should compile a list of plants that are not at all injured
by juglone. Grape vines are certainly out of the question, they're as
sensitive to juglone as are rhododendrons. But much else would do fine if
only water could be gotten to the spot. I bet more plants are killed by
the dryness under a walnut canopy than by the juglone. For instance,
honeysuckle, boston ivy, & clematis are not harmed by juglone, but they
need water & sunlight, so are not often seen thriving in the dark dry
shade deep under walnut trees. But if there's a drip system run out to
them & sun reaches them at one or another part of the day, they'll do
fine.

J. Robert Nuss, Professor of Ornamental Horticulture Horticultural
Department at Pennsylvania State University, did a survey of plants
growing under walnut trees. BY FAR the most common vine was Virginia
Creeper (or Englemann ivy). Hydrangea shrubs also grew well under
walnuts, & I would presume so would climbing hydrangea, though Professor
Nuss didn't count any in his under-walnut census. He did count quite a few
bittersweet vines (Celastrus scandens) though only a fraction of the
number of Virginia Creepers.

You could also consider getting a nicer fence. The only place where chain
link looks appropriate is around a construction site. The only conceivably
worse fence would be those six foot high plastic prefab white fences
embossed with knothole & woodgrain patterns that look like Rick Moranis
enlarged them from a toy farm set. Those only look appropriate around
rusty trailer houses where someone is tragically & pathetically trying to
make things look nice (or who needed the fence so they wouldn't have to
see their immediate neighbors' piles of bean cans & beer bottles
encroaching on the property lines).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 09-07-2003, 12:56 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 23:39:15 -0400, "JNJ" wrote:

I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right alongside a
black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree but I
REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts? If so,
what varieties?

Until recently, when I checked the info available, I refused to
believe in juglone -- the black walnut poison. I have a bunch of black
walnut trees, and would be *delighted* with a zone of inhibited growth
around them. Honeysuckle doesn't mind. Nor forsythia, ivy, privet,
violets, grass, oak, maple, etc., etc. For evergreen cover, if you
can stand the maintenance of keeping it from spreading, Ivy *loves*
chain link fencing. It also climbs up black walnut trunks. Paghat says
that grape vine is inhibited, but whatever wild grape thing covered my
window in a week doesn't seem to mind. However, it's not evergreen --
just very opportunistic.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:32 PM
madgardener

Virginia Creeper will live under the black walnut no problemo..........not
to mention morning glory, Lab Lab, Akebia, (that one is perennial) and the
dreaded Honeysuckle. There is a nice one, called black leaf Halls
honeysuckle that is offered at nurseries if you look for it. Our wild and
invasive honeysuckle slugs it out with the Virginia creeper that resides
under one of the many black walnut trees here in Eastern Tennessee.
Hope this helps
madgardener up on the ridge, back in a steamy and sultry Fairy Holler,
overlooking hazy English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone
36

Old 10-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Salty Thumb

"JNJ" wrote in
:

I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right
alongside a black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree
but I REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with
a vine. Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black
walnuts? If so, what varieties?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

As a side note, I read that sometimes Black Walnuts are grafted onto
other root stock (or vis versa?), so you may not have any problems or
have less severe problems than cited for pure black walnuts.

To again not answer your question, I've heard of people painting chain
link fences green with good effect.

-- Salty

Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 AM
JNJ

As a side note, I read that sometimes Black Walnuts are grafted onto
other root stock (or vis versa?), so you may not have any problems or
have less severe problems than cited for pure black walnuts.

Heh -- not this one. I brought this home as a twig on Arbor Day from
elementary school about 25-30 years ago. (And Mom never thought it
would survive -- it's now 70 or so feet tall. Grin)

James

Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 AM
JNJ

Someone really should compile a list of plants that are not at all injured
by juglone.

I have one around here somewhere but I don't feel like searching through
15000+ documents on my system just to find it. :P If I do, I"ll post the
list.

For instance, honeysuckle, boston ivy, & clematis are not harmed by

juglone, but
they need water & sunlight, so are not often seen thriving in the dark dry
shade deep under walnut trees. But if there's a drip system run out to
them & sun reaches them at one or another part of the day, they'll do
fine.

I've considered honeysuckle and clematis. Bittersweet vine (Celastrus
scandens) has been recommended as well.

You could also consider getting a nicer fence. The only place where chain
link looks appropriate is around a construction site. The only conceivably
worse fence would be those six foot high plastic prefab white fences
embossed with knothole & woodgrain patterns that look like Rick Moranis
enlarged them from a toy farm set. Those only look appropriate around
rusty trailer houses where someone is tragically & pathetically trying to
make things look nice (or who needed the fence so they wouldn't have to
see their immediate neighbors' piles of bean cans & beer bottles
encroaching on the property lines).

Sigh I'd love to get something different, but I live in the city and
there are a number of restrictions on what we can put up not to mention how
we can erect it. We also have dogs, so whatever we put up has to be able to
keep them in the yard. We have a bit of a property line dispute with one of
the neighbors as well -- that line will soon be divided by lonicera maackii
and eleaegnus.

James

Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 AM
JNJ

Until recently, when I checked the info available, I refused to
believe in juglone -- the black walnut poison. I have a bunch of black
walnut trees, and would be *delighted* with a zone of inhibited growth
around them. Honeysuckle doesn't mind. Nor forsythia, ivy, privet,
violets, grass, oak, maple, etc., etc. For evergreen cover, if you
can stand the maintenance of keeping it from spreading, Ivy *loves*
chain link fencing. It also climbs up black walnut trunks. Paghat says
that grape vine is inhibited, but whatever wild grape thing covered my
window in a week doesn't seem to mind. However, it's not evergreen --
just very opportunistic.

Here's the question though -- just how close to the black walnut are these
plants?

James

Old 10-07-2003, 03:44 AM
JNJ

Virginia Creeper will live under the black walnut no problemo..........not
to mention morning glory, Lab Lab, Akebia, (that one is perennial) and the
dreaded Honeysuckle. There is a nice one, called black leaf Halls
honeysuckle that is offered at nurseries if you look for it. Our wild and
invasive honeysuckle slugs it out with the Virginia creeper that resides
under one of the many black walnut trees here in Eastern Tennessee.
Hope this helps

Hmmmmmm...I hadn't really considered Morning Glory. That's not a bad idea
for this area.

Thanks!

James

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Salty Thumb
writes:

As a side note, I read that sometimes Black Walnuts are grafted onto
other root stock (or vis versa?), so you may not have any problems or
have less severe problems than cited for pure black walnuts.

Engish walnuts are grafted onto Black Walnut root stock. Black Walnut
is resistant to Oak Root Fungus, while the English is not. This was
a discovery of John Bidwell, the founder of our city in Northern Calif.
a great walnut growing area.
just a bit of trivia.......
Emilie
Norcal

Old 10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:21:57 -0400, "JNJ" wrote:

Honeysuckle doesn't mind. Nor forsythia, ivy, privet,
violets, grass, oak, maple, etc., etc. For evergreen cover, if you
can stand the maintenance of keeping it from spreading, Ivy *loves*
chain link fencing. It also climbs up black walnut trunks. Paghat says
that grape vine is inhibited, but whatever wild grape thing covered my
window in a week doesn't seem to mind. However, it's not evergreen --
just very opportunistic.

Here's the question though -- just how close to the black walnut are these
plants?

It's not "the" black walnut tree; it's a mini-forest with trees
between 3' and 60' tall pretty much all over the perimeter of the back
"yard." As I said, ivy grows up the trunks, honeysuckle twines all
over, etc., etc.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

"paghat" wrote in message
..
The only conceivably
worse fence would be those six foot high plastic prefab white fences
embossed with knothole & woodgrain patterns that look like Rick Moranis
enlarged them from a toy farm set. Those only look appropriate around
rusty trailer houses where someone is tragically & pathetically trying to
make things look nice (or who needed the fence so they wouldn't have to
see their immediate neighbors' piles of bean cans & beer bottles
encroaching on the property lines).

-paghat the ratgirl

Ouch! True, but ouch! A neighbor fenced in about 3 acres for his horses,
uses that white prefab stuff. I can't wait to see how pretty it looks in a
few years...

--
Wendy* in N. California, who actually doesn't mind chain link fences,
atleast they are not PLASTIC!!!!

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it." Mae West

Old 12-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Sunflower

"JNJ" wrote in message
I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right alongside a
black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree but I
REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts? If so,
what varieties?

James
Zone 6, SW Ohio

Roses with a strong multiflora heritage can grow quite well in partial shade
from walnuts or pecans. Multiflora ramblers, hybrid musks and polyantha
classes of roses are ones to consider. Also, the setigera ramblers also
seem to do OK with juglone and many of these are quite large and will climb
trees to cascade down their blooms.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:24:12 GMT, "Sunflower"
wrote:

"JNJ" wrote
I have a section of chain link fence to cover BUT it is right alongside a
black walnut.

Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my beloved black walnut tree but I
REALLY want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts? If so,
what varieties?

Roses with a strong multiflora heritage can grow quite well in partial shade
from walnuts or pecans. Multiflora ramblers, hybrid musks and polyantha
classes of roses are ones to consider. Also, the setigera ramblers also
seem to do OK with juglone and many of these are quite large and will climb
trees to cascade down their blooms.

What a good idea! How are these types with regard to high humidity and
consequent black spot-type diseases? As long as I have you on the
line and am too lazy to Google, is there a difference between
multiflora and floribunda?
Old 13-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"JNJ" wrote
I have a section of chain link fence to cover that is alongside a
black walnut.
Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my black walnut tree but I
want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts?
If so,what varieties?

Roses with a multiflora heritage can grow quite well in partial shade
from walnuts or pecans. Multiflora ramblers, hybrid musks and polyantha
classes of roses are ones to consider. Also, the setigera ramblers also
seem to do OK with juglone and many of these are large and will climb
trees to cascade down their blooms.

Two others a
Wild grape
Black raspberry

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

[IMG] code is On

Will bamboo grow under a black walnut tree? Rachel42 Bamboo 5 30-07-2006 01:50 AM
Planting Under Walnut Trees RJS Lawns 6 05-06-2006 12:19 PM
robbie's dog converses under our walnut after we measure near it [email protected] United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 02:53 PM
if you will attack Tommy's monolith under coconuts, it will truly believe the walnut Isabelle United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 12:05 PM