Old 10-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Jan Flora

Default Zone 3 or colder plants? Looking for fragrant/bright, long lasting flowers for Calgary, Alberta.

In article , (Patty
Winter) wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

If you want to see what we grow in my area, look at this website.
This is my neighborhood nursery.

http://www.alaskahardy.com/

LOL! You folks obviously have some issues up there that we don't
in the Bay Area. E.g., this excerpt from the section on columbines:

For years this extremely hardy perennial has been voted No. 1 by
Alaskans. Columbine thrives and readily self-seeds without being
bothered by moose.

Gee, and the local people here complain about deer! Moose must be
even harder to dissuade!

Patty

Well, at least moose don't show up in herds in the garden : ) Here on
the coast, we put up fishnet garden fencing, to keep the moose out.
It works pretty well. (Moose are the largest member of the deer family.)

When I lived in Marin County, the deer would come through and wipe
out my roses. (Downtown Fairfax.)

A note on columbine: I planted one last year that was 3" pot size. This
year, it's 3' across, 3' tall and absolutely covered with blooms. Maybe
the composted cow manure I put in that garden bed helped, but man, oh,
man, does that stuff grow well up here!

Jan
zone 3