Old 10-07-2003, 05:18 PM
Jim W

Default National Pickling Cucumber

Noydb wrote:

Jim W wrote:

I offer this:
Q: What is a midget? A gherkin?
A: When we refer to the terms midget and gherkin, we are referring to small
cucumbers that come from the same plant that produces larger cucumbers,
cucumis sativus. These midgets and gherkins are picked before they have a
chance to grow up to be big ones. However, there is a different species of
cucumber called a gherkin, cucumis anguria. These cucumbers are known as
West Indian or Burr gherkins, and they produce small, exceptionally spiny
fruit that is used for pickling. Mt. Olive, however, does not pickle this
type of gherkin.

from http://www.mtolivepickles.com/AskMrCrisp/FAQ.html

Oh ... and thanks for the links. I'm following them now.

Bill

Dangerous to confuse common names with botanical.. FOr instance a
bluebell in England is not a Bluebell is scotland.. Same name, different
Genus species..

Differnt country, differnt word.. IN the UK we say gherkin,.. in
Germany as well I believe..
A lot of other countries use 'gherkin'.. Some use 'pickle' As a lot
of these recipes originate there I believe that is what they are known
as over here.. In the UK a lot are imported from Poland.

AS you will see if you enter gherkin there are plenty of references to
'pickled cucumbers' as you know then;-)

Strange, this language called English;-) Enjoy your gherkins. Some
cultivars are 'bred' to be small and short.. National Pickling is one
such.. You will find if you let one mature it will not reach the normal
length of a cuc.-) Will look more like a cucumber bombshell than a
gherkin, eg short and fat;-)

//
Jim