Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
NewsUser

Default Clematis

The exact same thing is happening to my clematis. I had three stems, two
have turned brown and shriveled, and now the last one is showing signs of
the same thing happening. It's barely had a chance to flower. I'm going to
go look for stem damage, but it's pretty well protected by a strawberry pot
on one side and the arbor it's climbing on the other.

Karen

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
Luca me@home wrote:

I have planted a Nelly Moser about a month ago. It seemes to be
doing great until 2-3 days ago, when all the leaves on one of the two
stems started wilting. Also the leaves are browning from the ground
up. The other stem still looks healthy. I am guessing one of the
stem got damaged, even though I cannot see anything wrong...?

I had that happen a few weeks ago. The first thing I thought was
"Clematis WIlt" but upon research that particular disease or whatever
it is happens suddenly with leaves turning black not brown.

It was only later as the wilt got worse and worse that I spotted a
spot on the main stem near the dirtline that was exploded. it was
still holding together but had broken open with slits. I think a
storm thrashed the short guy around and snapped it. I hadn't tied it
to a support yet. The little guy sent up a new main stem this week.
May not get much flowers this year but it is alive.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener