Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 AM
Luca

Default Clematis

I have planted a Nelly Moser about a month ago. It seemes to be
doing great until 2-3 days ago, when all the leaves on one of the two
stems started wilting. Also the leaves are browning from the ground
up. The other stem still looks healthy. I am guessing one of the
stem got damaged, even though I cannot see anything wrong...?

TIA,
Luca
Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
DigitalVinyl

Luca me@home wrote:

I have planted a Nelly Moser about a month ago. It seemes to be
doing great until 2-3 days ago, when all the leaves on one of the two
stems started wilting. Also the leaves are browning from the ground
up. The other stem still looks healthy. I am guessing one of the
stem got damaged, even though I cannot see anything wrong...?

I had that happen a few weeks ago. The first thing I thought was
"Clematis WIlt" but upon research that particular disease or whatever
it is happens suddenly with leaves turning black not brown.

It was only later as the wilt got worse and worse that I spotted a
spot on the main stem near the dirtline that was exploded. it was
still holding together but had broken open with slits. I think a
storm thrashed the short guy around and snapped it. I hadn't tied it
to a support yet. The little guy sent up a new main stem this week.
May not get much flowers this year but it is alive.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Bill Spohn

I spotted a
spot on the main stem near the dirtline that was exploded. it was
still holding together but had broken open with slits. I think a
storm thrashed the short guy around and snapped it.

It doesn't take much sometimes to crack the stem open. A dog barging through or
you just moving the stem can do it. You are lucky it started to come up from
the root again!

And BTW - what is 'digital vinyl'? I am into non-digital vinyl of the music
sort, and was wondering.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:09 PM
rosie readandpost

protecting the new stems seems to be quite important....................
would you advise not cutting down the old stems in fall, so the new ones have EXTRA protection?

rosie

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:38:56 -0500, "rosie readandpost"
wrote:

protecting the new stems seems to be quite important....................
would you advise not cutting down the old stems in fall, so the new ones have EXTRA protection?

rosie

If your climatis is one that blooms in the spring or early summer, the
flowering mechanism will be in the old stems. By cutting that off,
your clematis will be limited in bloom next year. For a clematis
that blooms late summer and fall, pruning in the fall will not impact
next year's bloom because the flowering buds will be on new stem
growth. I have both types, leave them alone, and they are very
prolific. They will benefit from mulch.

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
NewsUser

The exact same thing is happening to my clematis. I had three stems, two
have turned brown and shriveled, and now the last one is showing signs of
the same thing happening. It's barely had a chance to flower. I'm going to
go look for stem damage, but it's pretty well protected by a strawberry pot
on one side and the arbor it's climbing on the other.

Karen

Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Suja

Luca wrote:

I have planted a Nelly Moser about a month ago. It seemes to be
doing great until 2-3 days ago, when all the leaves on one of the two
stems started wilting.

Since this is a baby plant, it needs to be nursed along. If it has been
hot and dry where you are, you might need to water more frequently.
Nelly Moser is unfortunately susceptible to Clematis Wilt, and there is
unfortunately not much you can do if that's the case. You might want to
check into this disease to see if the description of the disease matches
what you're seeing.

Also the leaves are browning from the ground
up.

That is normal. Clematis do tend to lose some leaves towards its base
during the hot summer. Mulch heavily and do your best to keep its roots
cool.

The other stem still looks healthy. I am guessing one of the
stem got damaged, even though I cannot see anything wrong...?

It is possible that maybe the stem got damaged, as they can be a little
brittle. Once the plant is well established, it will do just fine.
Look up its culture requirements, and pamper it for a little bit. BTW,
don't be surprised if the clematis doesn't appear to be doing much of
anything for the first couple of years. They have a very extensive root
system, and normally concentrate their efforts towards that end.

Suja
Old 11-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Luca

Great newsgroup... thanks for all the replies.

I do not think this was caused by clematis wilt because the foliage is
turning brown, and I can see no trace of purple veins. I probably
just damaged that stem somehow...

I think that the locations is pretty good. A Violet Elizabeth, just
next to the Nelly Moser, is rewarding me with an incredible flower.
:-) However I did put in some mulch, just in case.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Pam

Nelly Moser is particularly susceptible to clematis wilt, which, btw, does
not have to follow any specific pattern as far as foliage or stem coloration
is concerned. Cutting off the damaged stem, regardless of the cause, will
typically result in new growth from the base, although it may not be apparent
immediately.

FWIW, clematis wilt is rarely fatal and most large flowering hybrids will
outgrow it after their fifth year. Planting the clematis deeply to begin with
will help to develop vigorous growth from the root crown and multiple stems
which aid the plant in being more wilt resistant. Hard pruning the first year
after planting will also help. Browning of the lower foliage in midsummer is
also fairly common with a number of clematis cultivars and generally
indicates a need to step up the watering program.

pam - gardengal

Old 11-07-2003, 06:01 PM
vsiddali

I have two clematis plants. One in the front and the other in the
back. They say these plants have to have shades near the base so that
they do not brown. Tne front one has lots of grass around it and is
doing just fine. But the one in the back does not have any thing
around it and has lots of direct sun shine on the base. Couple of
days the weather was unbearable with torchering heat over the 4th of
July weekend. The whole plant is broned out and I am hoping it will
come back next year. I am trying to grow somethings near the base to
provide cooler atmosphere for it.

Old 11-07-2003, 06:08 PM
rosie readandpost

i have hosta's growing over the base of my clematis, and it works fine!

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

ever wonder if we would care more about each other if we realized how much we have in common?

Old 20-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Luca

Hmm, it looks like you were right after all... The second (and last)
stem also collapsed, and this time I am quite sure I did not damage it
myself. I will try again next year.

Luca
Vancouver, 6b