Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] Pine Cones

Dan,

Allow the cones to dry in a paper bag and then shake out the seeds (most
will have thin papery wings attached) - if the cones are already fully open
you probably don't have much seed. In the fall I would plant them in a seed
flat (if you have lots of seed just spread them around) and cover with about
1/2 cm of fine bonsai soil. Water, cover with screen to keep the critters
out, and keep them outside where they will get both cold and moist at times
(this is natural stratification). This is my preferred method.

It is also possible (and sometime desirable) to stratify the seed in the
refrigerator. In this case mix them with some moist (not wet) sand about 8
- 10 weeks before the last frost and keep them in a baggie with the
vegetables in the refrigerator. Plant out in the seed flat once they start
to sprout (waiting too long reduces the yield as I found this year). Store
the seed in a cool dry place after you get it out of the cones and before
you plant it or put it in the refrigerator.

Be prepared that pines from Wisconsin (zone 4 - 5) may not do too well in
your area (zone 7), but then again.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++