Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Dan Saulsbury

Default [IBC] Pine Cones

I am new to the whole tree biz let alone Bonsai. I have been lurking just reading emails for about a month now. I have a few trees that are doing pretty well. (not sure I can call them Bonsai $5.00 Junipers from Wal Mart about 6 inches tall). On a recent t
rip to Wisconsin I picked up some small pine cones from my fathers yard and would like to see if I can get them to grow. What do I need to do with the pine cones to get them to start? They are brown about an inch long and fell naturally off the tree. Not
sure which kind of pine it is they came from but it has been in the yard forever (30 + yrs) and is about 50 ft tall long needles and a bluish color.

Thanks for your help

Dan Saulsbury

Zone 7? ( North Alabama)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-07-2003, 04:18 AM
MartyWeiser

Dan,

Allow the cones to dry in a paper bag and then shake out the seeds (most
will have thin papery wings attached) - if the cones are already fully open
you probably don't have much seed. In the fall I would plant them in a seed
flat (if you have lots of seed just spread them around) and cover with about
1/2 cm of fine bonsai soil. Water, cover with screen to keep the critters
out, and keep them outside where they will get both cold and moist at times
(this is natural stratification). This is my preferred method.

It is also possible (and sometime desirable) to stratify the seed in the
refrigerator. In this case mix them with some moist (not wet) sand about 8
- 10 weeks before the last frost and keep them in a baggie with the
vegetables in the refrigerator. Plant out in the seed flat once they start
to sprout (waiting too long reduces the yield as I found this year). Store
the seed in a cool dry place after you get it out of the cones and before
you plant it or put it in the refrigerator.

Be prepared that pines from Wisconsin (zone 4 - 5) may not do too well in
your area (zone 7), but then again.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 11-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Dan Saulsbury

They were sold as Bonsai. First thing I did was start reading on the internet....

Then pried off the pebbles that were glued on the top and repotted in a good draining mix (perlite and fine pine mulch). I have them outside in partial sun (about 4 hrs of morning sun). I know I need to fertilize them what should I use?

Thanks

Dan

Fallen Pine Cones meirman Lawns 3 20-11-2004 12:11 AM
Pine trees loaded with cones Judi Canaan Gardening 5 11-09-2003 10:04 PM