Old 11-07-2003, 05:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default HELP!!!

If the WH & WL came from a shady pond, then the sun is frying them because
they are not acclimated to that much hot sun. The WH will adjust, I doubt
the WL will. At least IME it prefers a partially shady pond, especially in
the afternoons.

The green murkiness, live with it, the pond is cycling, let it. Do not
change the water, do add more plants, do not add more fish. Wait it out.
Your pH of 8.0 is fine. ~ jan

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:48:28 -0500, Raven
wrote:

Hi all ... been lurking for a while, and you guys & gals seem like a
friendly bunch ... so, I finally decided to post, need some help here
... chemical or otherwise. Have 2 ponds in our backyard - the first one
is on the smaller side (125 gallons - prefab), which we've had for close
to two years, under the shade of a huge oak - has been a breeze to take
care of .. healthy fish, healthy plants .. no problems whatsoever with
this one. The problem is with the new pond that hubby put in about a
month ago (heh, the reason he gave for building a new pond was so I
didn't have to throw plants out ... though, I think that was only an
excuse, he's already talking pond #3 - he's hooked!). Anyway ... this
new one is slightly larger than the first ... 160 gallons, and in full
sunlight. When he had everything set up, thought it might be a good
idea to transfer some water from the first pond to speed things up a bit
- so, I did that. Placed excess plants from the first one in there - and
waited a couple of weeks to put fish in. No fish deaths, but ...
Hyacinths & Lettuce are turning yellow (lack of nitrogen?) Noticed about
a week ago that ONE single blade of grass has punched through the liner
(6 mil, white) ... that was kind of a surprise, wasn't expecting that
(and could this be part of the problem?) Have a pump in there that is
circulating the water (can't state the specks on it ... I'd have to dig
up the package) We've had LOADS of rain within the past month ... so,
the next thing is something that I was not expecting so quickly. Walked
outside a few days back to feed fish, and noticed that the water was
slightly green - within the following days, it got progressively worse.
Today, couldn't even see the bottom - so, dumped half the water and
replaced it - which did not make much of a difference. I realize that
with this new pond being in direct sunlight, the upkeep is going to be a
bit more difficult as far as algae is concerned ... (could a shift in PH
levels help this .. currently at 8.0) but, what do I need to do to
stabilize this thing and get rid of the hideous murky green water?
Thanking everybody in advance

~Raven~

~"Normal" people scare me!~

See my ponds and filter design: