Old 11-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Raven

Default HELP!!!

Hi all ... been lurking for a while, and you guys & gals seem like a
friendly bunch ... so, I finally decided to post, need some help here
.... chemical or otherwise. Have 2 ponds in our backyard - the first one
is on the smaller side (125 gallons - prefab), which we've had for close
to two years, under the shade of a huge oak - has been a breeze to take
care of .. healthy fish, healthy plants .. no problems whatsoever with
this one. The problem is with the new pond that hubby put in about a
month ago (heh, the reason he gave for building a new pond was so I
didn't have to throw plants out ... though, I think that was only an
excuse, he's already talking pond #3 - he's hooked!). Anyway ... this
new one is slightly larger than the first ... 160 gallons, and in full
sunlight. When he had everything set up, thought it might be a good
idea to transfer some water from the first pond to speed things up a bit
- so, I did that. Placed excess plants from the first one in there - and
waited a couple of weeks to put fish in. No fish deaths, but ...
Hyacinths & Lettuce are turning yellow (lack of nitrogen?) Noticed about
a week ago that ONE single blade of grass has punched through the liner
(6 mil, white) ... that was kind of a surprise, wasn't expecting that
(and could this be part of the problem?) Have a pump in there that is
circulating the water (can't state the specks on it ... I'd have to dig
up the package) We've had LOADS of rain within the past month ... so,
the next thing is something that I was not expecting so quickly. Walked
outside a few days back to feed fish, and noticed that the water was
slightly green - within the following days, it got progressively worse.
Today, couldn't even see the bottom - so, dumped half the water and
replaced it - which did not make much of a difference. I realize that
with this new pond being in direct sunlight, the upkeep is going to be a
bit more difficult as far as algae is concerned ... (could a shift in PH
levels help this .. currently at 8.0) but, what do I need to do to
stabilize this thing and get rid of the hideous murky green water?
Thanking everybody in advance

~Raven~

***********************
~"Normal" people scare me!~

Old 11-07-2003, 05:56 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

If the WH & WL came from a shady pond, then the sun is frying them because
they are not acclimated to that much hot sun. The WH will adjust, I doubt
the WL will. At least IME it prefers a partially shady pond, especially in
the afternoons.

The green murkiness, live with it, the pond is cycling, let it. Do not
change the water, do add more plants, do not add more fish. Wait it out.
Your pH of 8.0 is fine. ~ jan

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:48:28 -0500, Raven
wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 11-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Hank Pagel

Raven, As for the green water you need more time and more plants and
some shade. I have a small pond in full sun that I use a potted palm
(that I bring inside for the winter) to filter the hot afternoon sun.
As for the liner, 6mil sounds real thin and if grass came through in a
couple of weeks I don't know what a whole summer and some oak tree
roots have in store for you.
You mentioned a pump but no filter ......... more plants, less
fish , wait longer, more shade.
Let us know what happens ............ Is your liner RV roofing????
(White EPDM rubber)

Old 11-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Yellow plants mean no iron in the water. Let the green water sit and
hopefully it'll clear. Changing the water only gives the algae new trace
minerals. I bet your phosphate levels are high.

Sam

Old 11-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Hal

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:23:25 -0400, "Sam Hopkins"
wrote:

Yellow plants mean no iron in the water.

I believe yellowing pond plants can be caused by a lack of several
things, potash, magnesium, nitrogen to name the ones I'm familiar
with. Never benefitted from adding iron to the pond.

Regards,

Hal

Old 11-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Sam Hopkins

http://www.treesforyou.org/Planting/.../chlorosis.htm

Lists trees but it's the same for plants in general.

Old 12-07-2003, 03:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

wrote:

Yellow plants mean no iron in the water.

I believe yellowing pond plants can be caused by a lack of several
things, potash, magnesium, nitrogen to name the ones I'm familiar
with. Never benefitted from adding iron to the pond.
Hal

Even with all those things in the water a high pH can suppress the plant
from being able to uptake them. ~ jan

Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
PondWoman

Raven, when a pond turns pea soup color, the balance is wrong. The
"bad" bacteria have over come the "good" bacteria. In a natural eco
system, everything takes care of itself. I worked with a commercial
grower for walmart on her irrigation pond and helped her with her
water garden as well. She had the same pea soup and knowing her plants
like she did was dumbfounded as to what could be wrong. I introduced a
small amount of bacteria ( specifically made for aquatics) and treated
with a kelp extract. Three years later, her pond is still healthy.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:33 PM

Algae make ponds turn pea soup color.
algae is not bacteria, not bad at all. well, except if you want to see the fish.
pea soup is the color most ponds go thru when first established. as the biofilter
and plants get going the pea soup clears.
explain more about your liner.. you said something was coming up thru it?
Ingrid

when a pond turns pea soup color, the balance is wrong. The
"bad" bacteria have over come the "good" bacteria.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM