Old 23-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Pomegranate seeds

In article ,
(Frogleg) writes:
| On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:32:42 -0500, "Chovhani"
| wrote:
|
| My children saved some pomegranate seeds a few weeks ago, and forget about
| them. I found them behind the computer, still slightly sticky but almost
| dry, and two have tiny shoots. I'd like to take a shot at growing these,
| just for fun, and I wonder if there are any special tips or should I just
| experiment? I happen to have a bag of cactus compost in hand, which would
| seem like a good medium. Any suggestions?
|
| What fun! Google on 'pomegranate germination' and 'pomegranate
| cultivation' and I'll bet you find something useful.

Don't really need it. Cactus compost isn't ideal, but they should
certainly grow in it - a better material might be half of that and
half of ordinary compost. Don't get it waterlogged and don't get
it too badly frozen, but otherwise they are very tough. They can
lose all their leaves if they dry out, but will regrow.

I keep neglecting mine and it recovers. If I do a bit better, I
may get flowers, but the UK is too cold (in summer) for fruit.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:

Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679