Old 11-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Catasetum (Clowesia)

Wendy wrote:

Thanks for the info Rob, I had one but it was tiny so I promptly killed it!
I do have a couple of species that are doing well.
Cheers Wendy

Clowesia rosea is a small species to begin with. Or at least the
ones I've seen. As a somewhat amusing (to me, at least) anecdote, when
I first saw the award slide for Ctsm. Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink'
CCM/AOS, I had the scale all wrong. I presumed the flowers were at
least the size of a golf ball, and that the plant was in a 10 inch pot
or so... An impressive specimen, to say the least. And I wanted one,
badly. I saw the same clone in a couple different incarnations at a
show last spring, and was stunned to see that these babies are tiny.
Wee little plants (at least compared to other catasetinae), and cute as
a button. I was completely off base as to size, but now I want them
even more, of course. BTW, 'Grapefruit Pink' appears to be the correct
clonal name, at least according to Wildcatt, I screwed it up before.

The award description give a natural spread of 2.4cm for the
flowers. That is substantially larger than the flowers on the clones I
saw in person (more like 1.5 cm). So perhaps it grows a little bigger
with good culture. But still small. A nice plant for small spaces.

Oak Hill had a bunch of Clowesia rosea for sale this spring. They
may have more. And you may not have killed it, they are deciduous. As
long as the pseudobulbs are firm, there is still hope. I've had similar
plants stay dormant for 18 months before they decided to stop sulking.
Never throw away any of these until it is very obvious that the
pseudobulbs are rotten.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit