Old 11-07-2003, 01:44 AM
John Mallery

Default Catasetum (Clowesia)

Anyone have a source for Catasetum Rebecca Northen 'Pink Grapefruit'?

John Mallery
Husband, Father, Juggler, Comedian and Gardener
www.tallbaldandcrazy.com

Old 11-07-2003, 11:44 AM
John Mallery

Thank you for the prompt reply - greatly appreciated, since this is a plant
my wife wants!

"molli" wrote in message
Normans has it for $25

Old 11-07-2003, 01:56 PM
molli

You are welcome, this is one I want also, but have gone waaaayyyyy over my
orchid budget for the month!

--

Hugs,
Molli (hiding the bills from hubby)

Old 11-07-2003, 03:08 PM
molli

John, when you go hunting for it at Normans, type in "Rebecca Northen" in
the search, if you type in only catasetum it won't show it. And I bit the
bullet and ordered mine..sigh..what's one more.....I think I'll be hiding
far away when he gets the bill for my Masd. Machu Picchu though......my most
expensive orchid to date....

--

Hugs,
Molli

Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM
Rob Halgren

molli wrote:

John, when you go hunting for it at Normans, type in "Rebecca Northen" in
the search, if you type in only catasetum it won't show it. And I bit the

There is also a Catanoches (Clowenoches) Rebecca Northen. Clo. rosea x
Cyc. chlorochilon. Different genus, so they can do that. Shouldn't,
but can and did. So make sure you get the one you want...

Of course there is only one 'Pink Grapefruit' (a cute little thing), and
that is the Catasetum Grace Dunn x Clowesia rosea. Ctsm. Grace Dunn is
also a Clowesia x Catasetum ( Ctsm. warscewiczii x Clo. rosea).

Conveniently, I worked up a catasetum talk for 2001, and a cycnoches
talk for 2002, so I know more than I really should about these addictive
Catasetinae...

Rob (Maker of rules? I like that)

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit

Old 11-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Wendy

Thanks for the info Rob, I had one but it was tiny so I promptly killed it!
I do have a couple of species that are doing well.
Cheers Wendy

Old 11-07-2003, 06:03 PM
Rob Halgren

Wendy wrote:

Thanks for the info Rob, I had one but it was tiny so I promptly killed it!
I do have a couple of species that are doing well.
Cheers Wendy

Clowesia rosea is a small species to begin with. Or at least the
ones I've seen. As a somewhat amusing (to me, at least) anecdote, when
I first saw the award slide for Ctsm. Rebecca Northen 'Grapefruit Pink'
CCM/AOS, I had the scale all wrong. I presumed the flowers were at
least the size of a golf ball, and that the plant was in a 10 inch pot
or so... An impressive specimen, to say the least. And I wanted one,
badly. I saw the same clone in a couple different incarnations at a
show last spring, and was stunned to see that these babies are tiny.
Wee little plants (at least compared to other catasetinae), and cute as
a button. I was completely off base as to size, but now I want them
even more, of course. BTW, 'Grapefruit Pink' appears to be the correct
clonal name, at least according to Wildcatt, I screwed it up before.

The award description give a natural spread of 2.4cm for the
flowers. That is substantially larger than the flowers on the clones I
saw in person (more like 1.5 cm). So perhaps it grows a little bigger
with good culture. But still small. A nice plant for small spaces.

Oak Hill had a bunch of Clowesia rosea for sale this spring. They
may have more. And you may not have killed it, they are deciduous. As
long as the pseudobulbs are firm, there is still hope. I've had similar
plants stay dormant for 18 months before they decided to stop sulking.
Never throw away any of these until it is very obvious that the
pseudobulbs are rotten.

Rob

Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Wendy

Thanks Rob for the info, bad news, I think I threw it away!!!! I usually put
an orange tag on my deciduous
plants. Shoot!

Old 12-07-2003, 12:45 AM
John Mallery

Wow - thank you for all of the info and feedback. I saw the plant at an
Orchid Show in St. Louis back in February - beautiful plant and great
fragrance. Molli - I know what you mean by "blowing your budget" - our
annual orchid auction is this Sunday - aaargh too many choices - but I will
buy the "Grapefruit Pink" - I can't live without it.

John

Old 13-07-2003, 02:08 AM
profpam

Wendy,

Once in a while, bulbs will be soft when the plant arrives, or a grower
will place a tag on the base of the new growth -- this is not a good
idea for this type of plant. The latter happened to a Cycnoches aureum
I was so looking forward to. So,unless a plant arrives in good
condition you can't really take responsibility for killing it, Wendy.

In as far as dealing with deciduous plants, I have found it is best to
group them in the greenhouse, especially when they go into dormancy.
Placing all in the same family together, will help when it comes to
withholding water. Mist them occasionally, especially in dry climates as
bulbs can shrivel and fade away to nothing. On the other hand, too much
water can cause rot.

Incidentally, I think I saw Clowesia Pink Greatfruit on Jem's list.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 13-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Wendy

Hi there Pam, you know, you could be on the money. Yes, that's what
happened,
it was soft!!! So now I need to get another. *g*
The grouping thing is a good idea. Will do that.
Thanks for the insight.
Cheers Wendy