Old 11-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Leslie

Default Intro and beet question

Hi-I've been lurking for awhile and thought it was time to say hi and ask a
question. I live in zone 5, I think 5b since I'm right on the edge of zone
6. I'm having problems with beets. Last year I planted some (I don't
remember the kind), and ended up with a couple tiny things that never grew.
This year I planted some cylindra beets, and again, they're just not
growing. Out of probably 100 seeds planted as directed on the package, 10
germinated. A couple look ok, but not like I would expect them to be. Kind
of weak little things that got eaten by some kind of bug. The others look
like they might die any minute. Are there any special tips to growing beets?
The rest of my veggie garden looks good-pumpkins, cucumbers, carrots, lots
of tomatoes, corn. Well, actually the corn looks kind of strange too. Some
of the stalks are 2-3 feet taller than the rest. So I guess I have a corn
question too. :-) What would cause the disparity in the corn heights? Ok,
that's enough questions for now. I'm sure I'll have more later since I'm
kind of a novice gardener. Thanks!

Leslie