Old 12-07-2003, 01:56 AM
V_coerulea

Default Problems with germinating Broccoli...

I've never had a problem germinating broccoli in warm conditions. If I did,
I wouldn't get any at all.
After germination, they prefer cooler growing conditions. I'd say your seed
is old or poor quality. Get some new seed and I'll bet they sprout in 10
days or less. We sow seed in the fall for a winter crop that goes on into
Jan-Feb.with side shoots, and we plant another crop to bear in April. In
winter we supply extra heat to germinate the seeds (10 days), then grow them
cooler at the 1 leaf stage before they fall over.

"Agent Friday" wrote in message
"Mike Stevenson" wrote in
t:

Well I'm guessing this is related to heat. The temperatures inside the
house during the day are in the mid 80s(F) (well in the un-air
conditioned parts of the house.) My broccoli seeds still have not
sprouted. I dug a few out of one of the peat pots and they have simply
turned brown, they had not even busted open. I'm concerned my hopes
for a Fall crop of broccoli may be dashed. I think I am going to try
moving the tray they are in into the bedroom, which is air conditioned
down to around 70F.

From my searching on the web, heat has been my best guess as well. One
site mentioned that the plants should fully mature before hot weather
arrives, so I'm guessing that the seeds may have the same attitude about
heat.

My one surviving plant is in the ground and growing nicely. I don't

expect
to eat it necessarily, but I'm just letting it grow for the fun of it.
Maybe I can get some seeds from it.

Have a good one,
--Steve