Old 12-07-2003, 05:56 AM
John Rutz

Default Pond Newbie

John Hines wrote:
Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

I'm new here and thought I should introduce myself. My husband and I
are getting ready to overhaul our backyard, and he really wants a
pond. That's okay with me, so I'd like to hear from any of you that
would like to offer advice to a beginner in Zone 3.

Dig deep. Winters are going to be your problem, says john here in zone
5, who has struggled for a couple of years, keeping the pond going over
the winter.

in z 3 i would go 5 - 6 ft deep in at least one quarter of the pond if
not more to keep an area ice free and warmer for the fish
--
John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up