Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Paul Harvey . . .

The store guy told me quite a few people dump their big kois into the nearby
canal. Or the "uglier" ones.

As a side lesson I learned from this: if they can survive in a canal where
people dump oil/poop/stuff/other stuff/even uglier stuff, they must be
really strong critters. Which puts some of us to shame in a way. It may
also be a strong point for "volume" ?

I think the key words here are BIG & UGLY. They survived an uncaring
ponder, so what's a little "other uglier stuff"?

Members of the Spokane koi club showed pictures of their visit to Japan
where not only do darn nice looking koi swim in the canals, but the water
was clean.... course some of the koi farms didn't have to worry about
filtration or warm water in winter as it was founded on hot springs, if I
understood the story correctly.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/