Old 11-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default Paul Harvey . . .

.. . . just reported that someone caught a 52", 78 lb. carp in the Flint
River. Imagine the fishies you could get it was bred with a jumbo koi! GBG

--
Lee B.
See my Zone 9 a/b ponds at:

Old 11-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Theo van Daele

Lee, funny you mention this ...

When I was at the store where I buy my fish, a month or 2 ago, we got into
a conversation about growth, people not having the right sized ponds etc...

The store guy told me quite a few people dump their big kois into the nearby
canal. Or the "uglier" ones.

"That's cruel ! Do they survive ? "

"Yup, they do".

"How do you know ?"

"Well, I have a few friends who fish there, and they were quite amazed at
first to pull out a full sized Shusui or Yamabuki. Not exactly native fish
are they.".

Ho hum... :-)

As a side lesson I learned from this: if they can survive in a canal where
people dump oil/poop/stuff/other stuff/even uglier stuff, they must be
really strong critters. Which puts some of us to shame in a way. It may
also be a strong point for "volume" ?

Food for thought.

Theo

"Lee Brouillet" schreef in bericht

Old 12-07-2003, 07:44 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

The store guy told me quite a few people dump their big kois into the nearby
canal. Or the "uglier" ones.

As a side lesson I learned from this: if they can survive in a canal where
people dump oil/poop/stuff/other stuff/even uglier stuff, they must be
really strong critters. Which puts some of us to shame in a way. It may
also be a strong point for "volume" ?

I think the key words here are BIG & UGLY. They survived an uncaring
ponder, so what's a little "other uglier stuff"?

Members of the Spokane koi club showed pictures of their visit to Japan
where not only do darn nice looking koi swim in the canals, but the water
was clean.... course some of the koi farms didn't have to worry about
filtration or warm water in winter as it was founded on hot springs, if I
understood the story correctly.
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/