Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Madagascar palm

martin wrote:
On 12 Jul 2003 08:43:02 GMT, wrote:

I have a Madagascar Palm

[..]
It has grown about 3
smaller versions of itself around the base (attached to
the main trunk)

[..]
If I remove them, what
is the best way to do it?

Wear extremely thick industrial gloves

ROFL! Actually I meant should I use a sharp knife, twist them off, is there
anything I should put on the affected area afterwards, that kind of thing.

I'm quite used to getting bitten by it, when repotting it. Not even talking
to it sweetly and showing it that I'm only handling it in order to put it
into a bigger pot seems to improve its mood

BTW, would you believe that when I first bought it I thought it was a cactus
and so hardly watered it. It stayed looking like a cactus (no leaves) for a
year or so until some suddenly appeared at which point I said "That looks
odd, what's going on 'ere then?" and looked it up on the 'net. It doesn't
seem to have suffered any ill effects from this early mistreatment and just
keeps going from strength to strength (no flowers, but I don't really expect
any). Then again, maybe it sticking me with its spines is just delayed
revenge.