Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Leslie

Default Intro and beet question

"FarmerDill" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. :-)

Beets: 1. plant early in the spring just after the spring thaw. They do

not
tolerate hot weather.

Did that.

2. plant in loose rich soil, note they need more potash (potassium) than

most
garden vegetables.

What's the best way to get more potassium in the soil? The soil had lots of
compost and manure worked into it before planting.

3. keep surface moist until they germimate, floating row covers, plastic,

even
boards laying over the row can be used,

I'll have to look at the floating row covers. Is it too late to do that for
this season to help the ones I have?

Corn: possible uneven fertility of soil, or hardpan below the surface.

I kind of figured something like that. I wasn't super worried about it
though, since I planted a lot more than I really need.

Leslie