Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Balcony gardener seeking advice

martin wrote:
"M0rphix"
wrote:

Incredible! Well theres hope that I can grow something usual beside
flowers and herbs then..I should put my balcony to use while the summer
is still here

I reckon that marrows would grow well judging from the success I had
growing gourds.

Let's see, we now have a South facing balcony and used to have a balcony
which was a (very shaded) SWer. We managed zuchini, courgettes, marrows, on
both but have failed miserably with melons at both places. Toms have grown
well, except when the hailstorms kill 'em. Lettuce and cabbage are both
growing well, also.

I also grew daffodils and geraniums.

I think geraniums are a good plant for balconies you see them growing
on balconies and in window boxes all over the Netherlands, Germany and
Austria

Yup. We grow carnations on ours, too, amongst other things. We even had a
visit from a Clematis one year (which SWMBO insisted I should pull out
because it was a weed, but I was curious to see what came out of it) until
the winter killed it off. The flower was really pretty if you stood on a
step ladder to see it...

You can grow plenty on a balcony, so don't worry M0rphix. If you get hard
frosts you might have a problem with plants which would normally see out
the winter, maybe because they don't have as much insulation (earth)
around them to protect their roots.