Old 11-07-2003, 12:07 PM
MrPhixIt

Default Balcony gardener seeking advice

Hi all.. I've recently started thinking about growing some plants for use
in cooking..stuff like basil and coriander and tomatos.

I live in a 2nd floor flat so don't have a garden, but I have a little
balcony
with a concrete planter which I'd like to fill up with compost and use to
grow my plants in. I was wondering if this would be suitable for growing
larger plants such as tomatos as it's quite small and only gets direct
sunlight in the afternoon from around mid day onwards.

Here is a picture of my balcony:

http://amorphix.idnetuk.com/images/p...es/balcony.jpg

Is it too late in the year to grow tomatos now? Can any gardeners offer
any suggestions on what type of vegetables or herbs might be best to
grow in these conditions?

I know nothing about gardening so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Morphix

Old 11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
Zizz

"MrPhixIt" wrote in message
[...]

The url can't be found.

I'd be wary of the weight you can put on the balcony, concrete planter +
soil + water can and will weigh a fair bit.
Try to keep the weight of your pots as light as you can.
It's a bit late to grow tomatoes now but some garden centres do the trailing
tomatoes in hanging baskets (if they haven't been snapped up already).
I would think that basil and coriander should be okay , you could also try
chives, rosemary, thyme marjoram.
It's all a question of experimenting to see what grows well and what
doesn't, don't be afraid to try something different
Rosemary, thyme and marjoram I find tend to be fairly drought tolerant,
whilst basil, coriander and chives would need a little more care with water.
You could think of peas, beans and sunflowers for next year!
I've never tried balcony gardening so am guessing on all of this but hope it
helps

Old 12-07-2003, 02:44 AM
M0rphix

"Zizz" wrote in message

"MrPhixIt" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply and the useful info. I must admit I never gave a
thought
to the weight of the soil and water! I think perhaps pot plants may be a
safer
bet as you say.

I messed up on the URL, here it is:

http://amorphix.idnetuk.com/images/p...ates/balcony.j
pg

Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 AM
martin

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:00:37 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

"MrPhixIt" wrote in message
[...]

I grew a grape vine very successfully on a 3rd floor balcony. I also
grew gourds. 30 years after the vine is still growing in the garden of
our house. When we moved we took the vine with us.
--
martin

____/|
O \ o.O|
\\ =(_)=
__))____ooO U Ooo
``` '''

Old 12-07-2003, 09:10 AM
martin

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 02:35:15 +0100, "M0rphix"
wrote:

"Zizz" wrote in message

"MrPhixIt" wrote in message
[...]

I made a box about 1'x1'x4' out of waterproof builders ply I lined it
with polythene and filled it with bags of earth. It didn't bring the
balcony crashing down :-)

I messed up on the URL, here it is:

http://amorphix.idnetuk.com/images/p...ates/balcony.j

pg
It looks a bit rusty. Is it safe?
--
martin

____/|
O \ o.O|
\\ =(_)=
__))____ooO U Ooo
``` '''

Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM
M0rphix

wrote:

+

http://amorphix.idnetuk.com/images/p...yates/balcony.

pg
It looks a bit rusty. Is it safe?

Hehe yes its very safe, I often stand on it.. The rust is only from the base
of the vertical
railings that rest in the concrete..

Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM
M0rphix

wrote:

"MrPhixIt" wrote in message
[...]

Incredible! Well theres hope that I can grow something usual beside
flowers and herbs then..I should put my balcony to use while the summer
is still here

Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM
martin

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:19:59 +0100, "M0rphix"
wrote:

I grew a grape vine very successfully on a 3rd floor balcony. I also
grew gourds. 30 years after the vine is still growing in the garden of
our house. When we moved we took the vine with us.
--
martin

Incredible! Well theres hope that I can grow something usual beside
flowers and herbs then..I should put my balcony to use while the summer
is still here

I reckon that marrows would grow well judging from the success I had
growing gourds. I also grew daffodils and geraniums.

I think geraniums are a good plant for balconies you see them growing
on balconies and in window boxes all over the Netherlands, Germany and
Austria, they need little attention and can go without water for long
periods. I water the ones on my north facing office window ledge once
every three weeks.
--
martin

____/|
O \ o.O|
\\ =(_)=
__))____ooO U Ooo
``` '''

Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM

martin wrote:
"M0rphix"
wrote:

Incredible! Well theres hope that I can grow something usual beside
flowers and herbs then..I should put my balcony to use while the summer
is still here

I reckon that marrows would grow well judging from the success I had
growing gourds.

Let's see, we now have a South facing balcony and used to have a balcony
which was a (very shaded) SWer. We managed zuchini, courgettes, marrows, on
both but have failed miserably with melons at both places. Toms have grown
well, except when the hailstorms kill 'em. Lettuce and cabbage are both
growing well, also.

I also grew daffodils and geraniums.

I think geraniums are a good plant for balconies you see them growing
on balconies and in window boxes all over the Netherlands, Germany and
Austria

Yup. We grow carnations on ours, too, amongst other things. We even had a
visit from a Clematis one year (which SWMBO insisted I should pull out
because it was a weed, but I was curious to see what came out of it) until
the winter killed it off. The flower was really pretty if you stood on a
step ladder to see it...

You can grow plenty on a balcony, so don't worry M0rphix. If you get hard
frosts you might have a problem with plants which would normally see out
the winter, maybe because they don't have as much insulation (earth)
around them to protect their roots.