Old 12-07-2003, 11:56 PM

Default Pond Newbie

seriously, seriously consider designing a greenhouse over the pond right from the get
go. You will want to bring the fish inside before the water temp drops below 55oF as
that is when their immune system stops functioning effectively. And once they are
warm inside you cannot take them out and dump them into a cold pond either. So the
water is going to have to be somewhere around 60-65oF even if you keep the koi in the
basement.
I have a greenhouse arrangement over my koi pond in zone 5. The pond is 4 feet deep,
but 1.5 feet above ground level (not good for keeping the warmth in).
I started feeding around April 15 when the water is above 55oF.
I quit feeding around Oct 8th when the temp drops below 55oF.
A greenhouse is going to get you more time to sit by the pond and enjoy, and going to
warm that water up faster. Ingrid

(Jacquard_The_Ripper) wrote:
LOL yes, we figured that. We think we can leave the fish out from May
until October, and then they can come inside. And yes, we know it has
to be deep. We were thinking roughly 8' by 12' and about 5' deep at
the deepest.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com