Old 13-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Lynn Boyd

Default [IBC] What besides a juniper for a Phoenix graft?

I had to admit today that the juniper in my Phoenix graft,
done two years ago, is dead. I have two questions ?
Could placing the juniper whip into a groove that may have
been too deep and too tight been a cause, or does a whip
trunk grow all right in that situation? It thrived for those
two years, but has been stressed this past 4-5 months; I am
not sure why.
I am least fond of junipers and if I fail at something it
is sure to be a juniper. I have a few okay, never a bad
moment from them, but this was my only and first phoenix graft
and I crammed that trunk into the groove. I am preparing
another piece of deadwood and wish I had a different tree.
Is there something besides a juniper whip that would
substitute. I am not the keenest on junipers. I could make a
larger groove, plenty of room to do that. Is a pine possible?
I am keen on conifers.
Lynn

Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA
Zone 7-8