Old 13-07-2003, 08:20 AM
martin

Default garden shredder

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:13:30 +0100, "ned" wrote:

Conrad Edwards wrote:
Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few

inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch

other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

Without a doubt, "You get what you pay for".
I have a B&D cheapie electric shredder.
It does what I ask of it.
It has recently coped with ash and chestnut 2.5 cm stems,
blackthorn and hawthorn trimmings as well as stalky border plants.
If it complains, I accept that I have been too ambitious.
I have had my moneys worth out of it.
When it gives up the ghost, sure, I will move up market.
But, at the moment, I can live with what I've got. ;-)

If you can make it give up the ghost within the warrantee period, by
using it for the purpose intended, now two years thanks to the EU, a
new free one awaits you at the place, where you bought it.
--
martin