Old 12-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Conrad Edwards

Default garden shredder

Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?
Old 12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
David Hill

I take it you do put the thick end in first.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 12-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Egon Spengler

"Conrad Edwards" wrote in message
Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

Had mine for over a year and am quite happy with it for the money.
Has shredded everything i've put through it, from ivy through to 40mm
branches.

I just keep feeding stuff into it and pushing it down with the black plastic
device they provide.

Egon

Old 12-07-2003, 10:36 AM
bnd777

Take it back to B and Q they will refund you
sadly the cheaper shredders do not cut the mustard
Better to save up and buy one of the new Bosch quiet shredders
I currently have a Champion 1600 from Do it all and while it tackles most
fresh stuff OK its not happy with branches and I need to get blades changed
every year .......not a DIY caper must be done with special power tooling
but they dont tell you that
When it knonks out completely I will buy the biggest Bosch Shredder

Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Conrad Edwards

I just rang Power Performance helpline about the problem and the lady
said they'd already had a couple of similar complaints this week about
the sticks not feeding through once they're short enough to bounce
around in the feed hopper...looks like it's going back to B&Q...so are
there any good shredders under £200 that have a positive feed action
rather than relying on gravity?

Old 12-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Drakanthus

are there any good shredders under £200 that have a positive feed action
rather than relying on gravity?

Don't buy a Black and Decker. I had one - it was crap, I spent more time
unblocking it than using it and ended up throwing it away. Wish I'd done the
same as you and took it back as "Unfit for Purpose".

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 13-07-2003, 12:21 AM
ned

Conrad Edwards wrote:
Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few

inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch

other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

Without a doubt, "You get what you pay for".
I have a B&D cheapie electric shredder.
It does what I ask of it.
It has recently coped with ash and chestnut 2.5 cm stems,
blackthorn and hawthorn trimmings as well as stalky border plants.
If it complains, I accept that I have been too ambitious.
I have had my moneys worth out of it.
When it gives up the ghost, sure, I will move up market.
But, at the moment, I can live with what I've got. ;-)

--
ned

Old 13-07-2003, 08:20 AM
martin

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:13:30 +0100, "ned" wrote:

Conrad Edwards wrote:
[...]

If you can make it give up the ghost within the warrantee period, by
using it for the purpose intended, now two years thanks to the EU, a
new free one awaits you at the place, where you bought it.
--
martin
Old 13-07-2003, 10:50 AM
StevieBoy

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:55:19 +0100, Conrad Edwards
wrote:

Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

I've got a Bosch (cost £230) and you can put branches up 3 to 4cm
thick in with no problem. The stuff the comes out the bottom composts
in a couple of months.

Old 14-07-2003, 12:02 PM
Conrad Edwards

wrote:

Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

B&Q gave me a refund without question, so I've now shelled out for a
decent Bosch with the screw feed....this eats up everything I put in
so far, though it was twice the price of the B&Q one.
Old 14-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Tony Bull

wrote:

[...]

I have had an Alco shredder for about 15 years and am very happy with
it.
I believe it is much more ecologically friendly to shred rather than
burn, and the shreddings compost much more quickly and hotter than
unshred plant material. The greatest benefit is when you shred new
woody material, rose prunings, hedge clippings etc and then
immediately compost them. The newly rising sap helps the material rot
down very quickly. I would never be without some means of shredding
and I think the old adage is true: buy the best that you can afford.
Tony Bull
Old 15-07-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

Conrad Edwards wrote in message ...

B&Q gave me a refund without question, so I've now shelled out for a
decent Bosch with the screw feed....this eats up everything I put in
so far, though it was twice the price of the B&Q one.

My ex took my B&D, bast thing that has happened, as I bought a Bosch,
and is just never clogs up The worm drive just pulls everything through
and takes quite big branches, also they don't bounce about as once the
drive has them then that;s it, they get shredded.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 28-07-2003, 03:25 PM
Registered User

I fell for the B&Q too.
Fortunately mine blew up after 15 minutes. I took it back and the helpful assistant suggested I might not want a replacement - after all it was only a cheap B&Q shredder.....
So I bought the Bosch screw feed instead. It has been so easy to use and so enthusiastic that bits of shrubbery that have been annoying us for years have vanished and I have been searching the garden for more stuff to feed it.
OK so it was twice the price - but it WORKS - and works better than the one I used to hire at £30 a go.
Happy days.