Old 13-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Mary Fisher

Default O.T. Senior Citizen gardeners

Hi Ron/Kate....When my neighbour (active age 72) was robbed in
the supermarket I went over to bank and payments by direct debit.Never
looked back. She had just drawn her pension at the post office and
the police said she was spotted and then followed and robbed by two
people, one women pretending to ask for advice and her male companion
who "lifted" her wallet. I now pay for groceries by card and for beer
money get cashbook (max £20 a time).Didn't want to change but had
to.Now I have very little money on me at any one time ( and a
card)Because I transfer money over the internet (it can be done by
visiting branch) there is also minimum money in the bank account. Only
enough for normal spending. The most a robber will get off me is about
£20 and if I am forced to give PIN number ,about £50. Better than a
cosh on the head. My neighbour lost two weeks pen sion for herself and
husband.About £240. ....Regards Ken

I'm not drawing a pension - and never shall - but Spouse had his paid into
the bank from the first. It makes a lot of sense. We rarely carry cash, use
plastic all the time which is paid off automatically in full every month so
there are no charges. All our utility bills and regular subscriptions are
paid by direct debit. When the balance reaches a certain amount I transfer
cash to or from the savings account by internet. We have no worries - not
just about being mugged but about forgetting to pay bills. I wish modern
facilities had been available when we were young, I wouldn't have lost as
much sleep.

I can recommend it. Seeing the l-o-n-g queues outside the PO on pension day
makes me wonder why people do it. It can't be fun and is a waste of our
dwindling lives.

Mary