Old 12-07-2003, 10:23 AM
Ron

Default O.T. Senior Citizen gardeners

SC gardeners,

You will receive or have received a letter concerning future payment of your
State pension.

The letter gives the three options they would like to promote and is very
misleading for it does NOT explain how to proceed with the the FOURTH
option, viz. "to carry on collecting your pension as in the past".

If you would prefer to help your post office to carry on serving the
community you can do your bit by obtaining a "Personal Invitation Document"
(PID) from the people on the 0800 phone number given in the "Any questions"
paragraph of the letter they send/sent. The PID (a form I suppose) will be
processed by your local PO.

You may find a bit of resistance in being sent a PID, but do not be put off.
DO NOT fill in any details on the form enclosed with the letter in fact you
could tear it up. If you have filled it in and posted it, the thin end of
the wedge to close your PO. may have been driven in.

Regards and spread the word!

Ron - SC gardener

Sorry about posting this, but I could not think of a better way of
contacting SC's.

Old 12-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Kate Morgan

You will receive or have received a letter concerning future payment of your
State pension.

We had our letter last week and my husband has dealt with it, acting on
advice from our local post office. We very much want to keep our local
P.O. and will do what ever we can to keep it.
I`m sure that your post will help other S.C`s

kate
Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 PM
John Towill

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

You will receive or have received a letter concerning future payment of

your
State pension.

We had our letter last week and my husband has dealt with it, acting on
advice from our local post office. We very much want to keep our local
P.O. and will do what ever we can to keep it.
I`m sure that your post will help other S.C`s

kate

When we telephoned wanting "the P.O." we were told ok, but no action is
needed until 2005, yet another government con!.

Cheers
John T

Old 12-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Ron

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

You will receive or have received a letter concerning future payment of

your
State pension.

We had our letter last week and my husband has dealt with it, acting on
advice from our local post office. We very much want to keep our local
P.O. and will do what ever we can to keep it.
I`m sure that your post will help other S.C`s

Kate,

You took the advice of a brainwashed employee if you sent in a completed
form. He should have told you about the Personal Invitation Document. You
would have ended up with a card and PIN but that WOULD NOT have been the
card given at Option 3. I'd raise stink at the PO after being given advice
like that!

You have driven in one more coffin nail and you cannot pull it out!

Ron

Old 12-07-2003, 05:20 PM
Ken Saunders

Kate Morgan wrote in message t...
You will receive or have received a letter concerning future payment of your
State pension.

We had our letter last week and my husband has dealt with it, acting on
advice from our local post office. We very much want to keep our local
P.O. and will do what ever we can to keep it.
I`m sure that your post will help other S.C`s

kate

Hi Ron/Kate....When my neighbour (active age 72) was robbed in
the supermarket I went over to bank and payments by direct debit.Never
looked back. She had just drawn her pension at the post office and
the police said she was spotted and then followed and robbed by two
people, one women pretending to ask for advice and her male companion
who "lifted" her wallet. I now pay for groceries by card and for beer
money get cashbook (max £20 a time).Didn't want to change but had
to.Now I have very little money on me at any one time ( and a
card)Because I transfer money over the internet (it can be done by
visiting branch) there is also minimum money in the bank account. Only
enough for normal spending. The most a robber will get off me is about
£20 and if I am forced to give PIN number ,about £50. Better than a
cosh on the head. My neighbour lost two weeks pen sion for herself and
husband.About £240. ....Regards Ken
Old 13-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Mary Fisher

[...]

I'm not drawing a pension - and never shall - but Spouse had his paid into
the bank from the first. It makes a lot of sense. We rarely carry cash, use
plastic all the time which is paid off automatically in full every month so
there are no charges. All our utility bills and regular subscriptions are
paid by direct debit. When the balance reaches a certain amount I transfer
cash to or from the savings account by internet. We have no worries - not
just about being mugged but about forgetting to pay bills. I wish modern
facilities had been available when we were young, I wouldn't have lost as
much sleep.

I can recommend it. Seeing the l-o-n-g queues outside the PO on pension day
makes me wonder why people do it. It can't be fun and is a waste of our
dwindling lives.

Mary

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Kate Morgan

snip
I can recommend it. Seeing the l-o-n-g queues outside the PO on pension day
makes me wonder why people do it. It can't be fun and is a waste of our
dwindling lives.

Mary

We must all do what works for us, we are in a small village wuth a tiny
post office - measures 8ft.x6ft. - it is very much needed and so we will
continue to use it for as many things as possible
kate
Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
David Hill

".......Seeing the l-o-n-g queues outside the PO on pension day makes me
wonder why people do it. It can't be fun and is a waste of our dwindling
lives. ....."

In our community on a Monday morning you will see around 10 to 15 people
Queuing each week by 8.45am
always the same people.
I am sure it is a social thing, just a pity they cant get a cup of
tea/coffee whilst they are waiting.

By 11am there are often 20 or so waiting, and that;s with 2 post offices.
Monday is a day you DON'T pop in for a couple of stamps.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 13-07-2003, 11:23 PM
anne

Definitely a social outing for some. At my local Post Office/newsagent there
is always the same five people waiting in line by at least 8.30am every
Monday chatting away lol. I'm sure they can't be there to beat the rush!

By the way, not quite the same but almost - someone I know had their
benefits book stolen in a house burglary and the theives forged a signature
and managed to cash some money. They were advised to have the money paid in
to the bank from then on.

Old 14-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Victoria Clare

"anne" wrote in
:

Definitely a social outing for some. At my local Post Office/newsagent
there is always the same five people waiting in line by at least
8.30am every Monday chatting away lol. I'm sure they can't be there to
beat the rush!

There's no harm in people choosing to queue if they like to, but rural
postoffices really need to find ways of appealing to an audience beyond
those who like to queue as a recreational activity.

In 15 years, we will still need rural shops, but the number of people who
wish to take part in this strange ritual will be much smaller.

I can't see many of today's 55-year-olds taking up queuing as a hobby, and
by the time I retire it's most unlikely that state pensions will still be
being paid to any but the completely destitute.

Victoria