Old 13-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] What besides a juniper for a Phoenix graft?

I am least fond of junipers and if I fail at something it
is sure to be a juniper. I have a few okay,

Oh, me too, me too . . . but I have NO feel for pines.

never a bad
moment from them, but this was my only and first phoenix graft
and I crammed that trunk into the groove.

That should not have been a problem. Did you peel off the living
tissue from the side that went into the groove?

I am preparing
another piece of deadwood and wish I had a different tree.
Is there something besides a juniper whip that would
substitute.

Any of the Mimosa family should do well. Oaks (with care) and
perhaps a bit of fire scorch. Buttonwood, of course, and a few
other tropicals.

snip

Is a pine possible?

I would think so -- one of those timberline pines that grow in
your part of the world.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++