Old 13-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default Vine that will grow under a black walnut....

"JNJ" wrote
I have a section of chain link fence to cover that is alongside a
black walnut.
Now, I've no intentions of cutting down my black walnut tree but I
want to cover that section of chain link, preferably with a vine.
Has anyone had any luck getting vines to grow under black walnuts?
If so,what varieties?

Roses with a multiflora heritage can grow quite well in partial shade
from walnuts or pecans. Multiflora ramblers, hybrid musks and polyantha
classes of roses are ones to consider. Also, the setigera ramblers also
seem to do OK with juglone and many of these are large and will climb
trees to cascade down their blooms.

Two others a
Wild grape
Black raspberry