Old 13-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Alastair J. Smith

Default Stihl FS45 - any thoughts?

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message .. .
Having just had to return a Black& Decker strimmer to Homebase 3 times

after
the line spolled out too quickly and wrapped around the spindle (and I
couldn't get it out) I've given up on that idea and was going to spend a

bit
more on a petrol job. Had my eye on Stihl FS45 at around £150, but is
another £50 on getting the next model up with straight shaft worth it?

Stihl is a very good make, straight shaft is more reliable and longer
lasting. The other main reason for straight shaft is that it can take a
blade for the thicker stuff. I must disagree with one of the other postings,
Jonsered maybe cheaper but it is not in the same league as Stihl by a mile.
Husqvanna (out of the same stable as Partner-Jonsered) is the other
respected brand of brushcutters for comparison.

There are many other makes out there that are also very good and price
competitive, the two I have mentioned just happen to be the market leaders
in this equipment.