Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
rmw

Default new user

Hi Murf,
I did try planting the small bulbils one year, it was a few years back now
and I only did it once, but I found the problem was that the leeks went to
seed very quick, before they were even fully grown. what I do now is save
seed for two years, and buy new seed every third year. I have some seed
heads foming now so I may try the bulbil method again. how do you stop them
running to seed ?.

Richard M. Watkin.

Murf wrote in message
s.com...
Hi Richard

I set my leeks away boxing day, leek growing can be confusing, if you
cut away all the seeds from the flowering head you get grasses and
pips, pips are small bulbils already growing a shoot from the top,
plant them and you get a leek true to strain, plant a seed and anything
can grow.
Grow in greenhouse to about end of May then plant out into raised beds,
show is about 2nd week in September, prize for first in good show can
be several thousand £.

Murf
--
Murf