Old 13-07-2003, 11:14 PM
John Rutz

Default Koi "?'s"

first question

http://www.coloradokoi.com has a ghrowth chart on Koi they grow
usualy fairly fast the firs t cuple years given the right environment

2nd I have had my Koi in the veggie bog without undue dammage, also I
do still have 8 waterlilies in the Koi pond that are doing well, the Koi
dont seem to bother them they do congregate under the lily leaves for
shade tho and I have both ground and water mint in what rocks around
the pond I can see roots from some of them up to 6-8 in in the water
( up until this month there were aprox 150 koi in the pond from 4 in to
2 ft)

Posible explanation for this is I do have lots of string algae that I
dont harvest ( only remove what I consider to be too dang much algae )
and lots of small life forms in the pond for them to nibble on that are
not in the lily pots
I see the fish burowing in the algae for bugs and pulling chunks of
algae that they eat
I also use Koi Clay

*muffin* wrote:
1. how much do koi grow a year?? like, how old is a 3 in. koi, & how old is
a 12 in.?? seems like my goldfish are growing & the don't.

2. also,,, I have read on here about how koi love to trash plants. is there
a certain size they get to THEN they start doing this?? and/or do you need a
gang of them?

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico