Old 14-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Just collected two old Grapevines - what can i do ?

This was the only chance i had ... friends were moving, so
don't tell
me to collect them in the spring ... no chance!
Anyway, both are 1.5 - 2" diameter, old old wood with actively

growing
vines.
I took as many feeder roots as i could, repotted them in a

sandy
organic mix, and i've cut them back to just a couple of leaves.

They
are in 3 gal tall nursery containers in the shade.

Larger containers (or, better yet, the ground) might have been
better, but . . .

Keep them in shade, do NOT overwater, but don't let them go
_completely_ dry, either. It is a delicate balance, leaning
toward the dry side.

Questions: the old leaves are all full of small holes, is this

a pest
i need to stop?

No. Not now. It's a beetle, and probably got left behind.
Unless you have many more grapes in your yard, you probably don't
have any that will find your trees this year. If the plants
survive -- and, frankly, I think it is unlikely -- the bugs may
find the leaves next year. A pyrethrum spray works. But not
now! The plants do not need any chemical stress.

The trunks have lots of rotting wood parts to them ... what can

i do
to stop the rot?

Not much. Grape wood is very fibrous. Work the rot into your
design.

The bark and 'trunk' is spectacular! can i air-layer to get

more
trees?

Not THIS year.

FYI - I posted a pic of a native grape bonsai on our gallery this
weekend, and Don Z regularly post pics of wine-grape bonsai. He
may have more to say on the resuscitation of collected grapes.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++