Old 14-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Just collected two old Grapevines - what can i do ?

Allen wrote:

I took as many feeder roots as i could, repotted them in a sandy
organic mix, and i've cut them back to just a couple of leaves. They
are in 3 gal tall nursery containers in the shade.

I've never collected grape at this time of year, so I don't know your chances, but
they are pretty tough.

Questions: the old leaves are all full of small holes, is this a pest
i need to stop?

Maybe. Japanese beetles love my grapes - I murder them by the thousands every year.
They are just now starting to appear in my area. Keep an eye out for shiny orangish
beetles about a half inch long - a rather attractive little pest, actually. If you
see 'em, smush 'em.

The trunks have lots of rotting wood parts to them ... what can i do
to stop the rot?

Try Minwax wood hardener. Some complain that it makes the wood appear shiny, but in
my experience weathering will take care of that. Be careful not to get it on any
living part of the tree.

The bark and 'trunk' is spectacular! can i air-layer to get more
trees?

Others (like Don Zeiman) will be better qualified to tackle this one.

Jay

Zone 5, Michigan, USA
--
Peace, n. In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of
fighting.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++