Old 14-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Tom Engel

Default Help- deer and hostas

Deer as rats with antlers - I like that! Randy

JMooreTS wrote:

Help, the deer mucned my 2 huge hostas plants down to the ground.

After much experience with various deer proofing remedies, the best that I've
come up with (short of a deer-proof fence) are sprinklers with motion
detectors.

Several places sell them. (Lee Valley Gardens has the best prices - mail
order). They are just impulse sprinklers which are activated for three second
bursts when something comes into the motion detectors range (about 120 degree
angle and 45 or so feet). You can set the sensitivity and range.

There are only two downsides:

1) they are a little pricy . . . $55 - $70 apiece and you will probably need
two or three to get full coverage in a yard/garden. They can be hooked in a
series.

2) You will inevitably forget that they're there and will get doused when you
go out into the yard.

But . . . they work. They're not 100% effective. You still get visitors who
will take a chomp. But they don't stay. It's a lot better than losing your
ornamentals and veggies every year to the rats with antlers.

Good luck,

John