Old 14-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Default O.T. Senior Citizen gardeners

"anne" wrote in
:

Definitely a social outing for some. At my local Post Office/newsagent
there is always the same five people waiting in line by at least
8.30am every Monday chatting away lol. I'm sure they can't be there to
beat the rush!

There's no harm in people choosing to queue if they like to, but rural
postoffices really need to find ways of appealing to an audience beyond
those who like to queue as a recreational activity.

In 15 years, we will still need rural shops, but the number of people who
wish to take part in this strange ritual will be much smaller.

I can't see many of today's 55-year-olds taking up queuing as a hobby, and
by the time I retire it's most unlikely that state pensions will still be
being paid to any but the completely destitute.

Victoria