Old 14-07-2003, 06:06 PM
news4.bellatlantic.net

Default [IBC] High chlorine levels in water

Yepper Jim you are correct about chlorine being volatile in fact among the
non-metals only fluorine is more chemically active. What concerns me is the
chlorides and chlorates which may occur. Also long term effects on humans
and on bonsais are very different due to the life span between the two (I
should have the grace of aging that these trees do) and this is just my
thoughts on chlorine. Also I do enjoy as many sides as I can, makes me grow
without any weight gain.

Thanks for the input.
Robert
"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Hi Tony,

I do not like to water my trees with chlorinated water but I am

also too
cheap to buy a R/O system. Chlorine is a very reactive

chemical and while
it does not appear to have any short term effect I do not

advise using it
over the long term. If you do have to use it try and use a

breaker nozzle
to allow as much aeration as possible which will let a fair

amount of the
chlorine to "boil off".

If you can drink it, you can water your trees with it. Chlorine
is quite volatile and will dissipate quickly. If you want, you
can fill a bucket or barrel with household water and let it stand
for a few hours, then dip your sprinkling can in it and water
away. But I can't imagine, with all the salts you are putting
into your soil when you fertilizer, that the amount of Cl2 in
your drinking water is going to do anything -- good or bad -- to
your trees.

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: