Old 14-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] High chlorine levels in water

Hi Tony,

I do not like to water my trees with chlorinated water but I am

also too
cheap to buy a R/O system. Chlorine is a very reactive

chemical and while
it does not appear to have any short term effect I do not

advise using it
over the long term. If you do have to use it try and use a

breaker nozzle
to allow as much aeration as possible which will let a fair

amount of the
chlorine to "boil off".

If you can drink it, you can water your trees with it. Chlorine
is quite volatile and will dissipate quickly. If you want, you
can fill a bucket or barrel with household water and let it stand
for a few hours, then dip your sprinkling can in it and water
away. But I can't imagine, with all the salts you are putting
into your soil when you fertilizer, that the amount of Cl2 in
your drinking water is going to do anything -- good or bad -- to
your trees.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-07-2003, 06:06 PM
news4.bellatlantic.net

Yepper Jim you are correct about chlorine being volatile in fact among the
non-metals only fluorine is more chemically active. What concerns me is the
chlorides and chlorates which may occur. Also long term effects on humans
and on bonsais are very different due to the life span between the two (I
should have the grace of aging that these trees do) and this is just my
thoughts on chlorine. Also I do enjoy as many sides as I can, makes me grow
without any weight gain.

Thanks for the input.
Robert

****

****

Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Yepper Jim you are correct about chlorine being volatile in
fact among the
non-metals only fluorine is more chemically active. What

concerns me is the
chlorides and chlorates which may occur.

Drinking water is chlorinated at about 0.3-0.5 mg/l (1 mg/l = 1
part per million, so this is 1/3 to 1/2 parts chlorine per
million parts water). That's still enough to taste or smell.

To contrast, one of the standard fertilizers I use for my trees
contains 0.1% Chlorine, I dilute the fertilizer a bit, but . . .
The fertilizer also contains nitrogen, phosphate, potash,
calcium, magnesium, boron, cobalt, copper, iron, manganese,
molybdenum, sodium, and zinc in percentages ranging from 9.0%
down to 0.00015%. You would NOT want it in your drinking water.
But my trees seem to like it. Your drinking water with its small
amount of chlorine would be a simple chemical compound in
comparison.

Also long term effects on humans and on bonsais are very

different due to the life span between the two

Well, the potential for human damage from chlorine may even be
greater because of the carcinogenic compounds that can sometimes
be formed when chlorine reacts with some organic materials in the
water. This is a subject of some current controversy.

The physiologic differences between plants and people simply
cannot be compared; neither can the life spans of two such
disparate organisms. I can see no relationship between either
and chlorine in drinking water.

(I should have the grace of aging that these trees do)

Well, we get heart rot, cankers, borers, and bacterial, viral,
and fungal diseases just like trees (we call them different
things). And an old, rotten tree doesn't seem to me to be dying
too gracefully; when trees get sick, Ma Nature simply forgets
about them and lets them be attacked by everything virulant in
the neighborhood.

and this is just my thoughts on chlorine.

Well, _I_ wouldn't worry about chlorine in drinking water and
your bonsai (note: NOT bonsais). But if you do, just let the
water stand for a bit. No biggie.

There are worse things to worry about, so save your concern for
them.

Old 15-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Dusty G.

In our new house I have a pair of whole house filters (Sears, $35 each)
with a sediment filter first & chlorine/other general stuff filter second
(Sears, about $5 and $7). I am also going to either run the water line up
into the utility room so I can put a whole house with chlorine filter on
the outside faucets, or run the outside faucets so they use the 2 existing
filters. The trees will be in back with one water garden & later koi pond
and I will also have a couple potted trees in the front yard, along with
the goldfish pond, 2 water gardens & other container plants.

Dusty
Walk in Beauty

Traditional Facets
Gemstones, Jewelry, Faceted Opals, Calligraphy & Oriental art supplies,
Author of the Rendezvous Cooking series, Birthstones Through the
Ages, The Runes, Gemstone & wood rune sets, Panther Tent dealer.
Spam, UCE and unsolicited sales e-mails will be billed $100 per occurance

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++