Old 14-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Tony Bull

Default garden shredder

Conrad Edwards wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:45:00 +0100, StevieBoy no@email wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:55:19 +0100, Conrad Edwards
wrote:

Unfortunatley I just bought a garden shredder from B&Q (one of their
£90 powerperformance range), and am a tad disappointed....it was for
cutting up hedge trimmings.
It can do small things like leaves ok, but once you start feeding
stems in, the stems dont get fed through all the way but a few inches
stick in the inlet box and tend to block it all up...it looks like
they shred down to a few inches long, turn horizontal, and catch other
stuff put in.
Any quick answers to feeding stems (up to 1cm across), or are these
just junk?
Has anyone tried putting in a narrow tube to the inlet to feed the
stems better?

B&Q gave me a refund without question, so I've now shelled out for a
decent Bosch with the screw feed....this eats up everything I put in
so far, though it was twice the price of the B&Q one.

I have had an Alco shredder for about 15 years and am very happy with
it.
I believe it is much more ecologically friendly to shred rather than
burn, and the shreddings compost much more quickly and hotter than
unshred plant material. The greatest benefit is when you shred new
woody material, rose prunings, hedge clippings etc and then
immediately compost them. The newly rising sap helps the material rot
down very quickly. I would never be without some means of shredding
and I think the old adage is true: buy the best that you can afford.
Tony Bull