Old 15-07-2003, 06:42 AM
R&V Childers

Default Bletilla striata hardiness?

Myrmecodia wrote:

I just picked up a couple of nice Bletilla striata from a local garden
center. The tag says they are hardy from Zones 5-9, which sounds
suspicious. I didn't think they were that cold hardy.

Make sure you mulch them well. I was raised in Charlotte (live in
Longview, TX now) and I know how unpredictable the winter weather can be
there. If you have an early spring warm spell, they may come up early
and get "burned" by a late frost/freeze. I'd also put them in a location
that shades the plants from the heat of the afternoon sun during the
summer.

Bob C.
http://vchilder.home.netcom.com