Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Myrmecodia

Default Bletilla striata hardiness?

I just picked up a couple of nice Bletilla striata from a local garden
center. The tag says they are hardy from Zones 5-9, which sounds
suspicious. I didn't think they were that cold hardy.

So, can I put them in some well-drained soil in a perennial bed, or
should I stick to pots? We're in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USDA
Zone 7. Winter lows sometimes reach 10 F, but daytime temps usually
rise above freezing, even in midwinter.

Myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 13-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Ray

Assuming they're in well-drained, sandy loam, they'll do great for you
there.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
m...

Old 14-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Eric Muehlbauer

Not only will it do well for you, but in a few seasons you'll be
dividing it and giving the extras away....Take care, Eric Muehlbauer

Old 15-07-2003, 02:34 AM
Myrmecodia

"Ray" wrote in message ...
Assuming they're in well-drained, sandy loam, they'll do great for you
there.

Thanks for the advice, Ray and Eric. My perennial bed has sandy soil,
and it is raised so it drains freely. I'll plant 'em out and see how
they do.

Nick
--
myrmecodia-at-yahoo-dot-com
Old 15-07-2003, 06:42 AM
R&V Childers

Myrmecodia wrote:

I just picked up a couple of nice Bletilla striata from a local garden
center. The tag says they are hardy from Zones 5-9, which sounds
suspicious. I didn't think they were that cold hardy.

Make sure you mulch them well. I was raised in Charlotte (live in
Longview, TX now) and I know how unpredictable the winter weather can be
there. If you have an early spring warm spell, they may come up early
and get "burned" by a late frost/freeze. I'd also put them in a location
that shades the plants from the heat of the afternoon sun during the
summer.

Bob C.
http://vchilder.home.netcom.com

Bletilla striata albescens tenman Orchid Photos 2 07-06-2008 08:56 PM
Bletilla striata tenman Orchid Photos 0 07-06-2008 04:02 AM
Bletilla striata albescens tennis maynard Garden Photos 3 08-06-2007 02:50 AM
Bletilla striata albescens tennis maynard Orchid Photos 0 07-06-2007 07:05 AM
Bletilla striata 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 01-03-2007 11:14 AM